Sunday, July 11, 2010

Blank Verse - Off days in Between Perfection

I hear his footsteps leading to our door
I put the plate of food on the table
He loosens his tie, smiles and sits down
These are the days in between the pictures
The pictures you put on your fridge
Even the day he brought a rose home
Flowered me with apologies for his lateness
No ones perfect you know, he said to me,
Even the day we sat at the steak house
Testing each other, how many languages
we could say "I love you" in
Somehow all got lost in translation
All I could remember is I don't eat Red Meat
But I cook it for him all the time
I know that many days will come with out
Smiles for the camera, but that alright
Sacrifices in this one on one game come with
Slam dunks, gifts, and even unexpected freestyles
I can capture all these moments in my head
Even when the rose has withered away
When there is nothing to talk about at all
Like the time I asked him what exactly he was thinking
Blooming springtimes have passed to a new dawn
A summer like the first except 8 trip deep into the sun
A new beginning with no end in sight - till infinity
Most days silence can't even fit between
Our words, back and forth like ping pong
Tossing and turning and then he holds me
But in these memories of waiting for the flash
Waiting for the punch line to a good joke
I like them like a frown with a smile 'cause
the suns in your eyes and its a good day
Then the clouds tickle the sky and you can see me
Not black and white anymore, now some gray
Clearly out of focus because he kissed me
But I'm just so damn tired, I work too much
Like waking before the sunrise, De Ja Vu
Again and again, just to pay the bills
Through times not worth a magnet for you fridge
I will love him in between the photos still

(Originally Written 2006 Spring)

No comments:

Post a Comment